Tuesday

12.30.12 - MUST HAVES WHEN TRAVELING

Since I’ve been traveling a lot by plane in the past year, I feel like I’ve become an expert on what to bring. (And how to get around in airports quickly)  I put together a list a things that I never will forget to pack in my carry on for the lovely day of travel that awaits me!  

1. Hair ties
Unfortunately I learned this the very very hard way.  I normally just let me hair do its thing, but the last time I flew I got lice.  Yes, lice.  I cried.  So I have learned my lesson and will never forget to have my hair up and be very cautious to where my hair is going.  Also I’d bring extra hair ties in case one breaks.  

2. Wear comfy clothes
This seems like a common sense one, but I’ve seen people do some crazy things.  Make yourself as comfortable as you can.  You’re sitting on a plane/airports all day, be comfy!  Don’t wear belts because it’s hell getting through security.  Don’t wear too much jewelry.  Wear shoes that are easy to take on and off.  You’ll thank me later when the person behind you if sighing because you’re taking too long in the security line!

3. Cash
It’s dangerous to use your credit card for everything, so make sure you have cash on you if you plan on buying a meal or anything while at the airport. - My brother was traveling and he had a layover in Chicago and a couple days later he noticed someone was spending money with his credit card.  Be careful!

4. Gum
Gum helps when the plane is landing and taking off to avoid your ears popping.  It also sort of gives you something to do when you’re people watching in the airport. ;)

5. Book - Anything to keep yourself occupied
Bring a book with you, or a simple craft (bracelets, knitting, ect.) to keep you busy throughout your travels.

6. Sleeping pillow
They come in handy!  It’s impossible to get comfy on an airplane, but a pillow helps you not be the person who’s falling asleep and their head falls every 10 min. (Me)

7. Phone charger
Since airports have more outlets, bring your charger so you aren’t worried about your phone dying!  No one would like getting to their destination and not having a way to communicate with anyone.

8. Make sure you have time in between flights
You don’t want to be that person running through the airport to catch your flight.  You also don’t want that extra stress and worry on yourself while you’re traveling, so before purchasing a ticket always make sure you have at least 40 minutes between your flights.

9. Snacks
I know it’s hard getting through security with somethings, but to save money and not spend $10 on a snack bar and water, try bringing some of your own little snacks.

10. Headphones
You don’t want to listen to that crying baby on your 3 hour flight, so pop in your headphones.  If you’re like me, you don’t want people walking up to you in the airport and start a conversation, so while you wait for your flight just pop them in.


I hope this helps anyone who plans to travel soon.  I’m traveling to New York in 6 days and I know I’ll be including all these in my carry on.  Do you travel with these things?  What are some must haves for you?  Let me know in the comments below!


Xoxo, Kelly